Net Neutrality is the principle that the company that connects you to the internet does not get to control what you do on the internet.
FCC Chairman Ajit Pai and the other Republican commissioners have killed net neutrality giving total control of your internet connection to your ISP. The Democratically-controlled House of Representatives has passed the “Save the Internet Act”, but Senator Mitch McConnell is blocking it from getting a hearing in the Senate. You can write your senators via THIS FORM, which has example text. Or you can write them via their website contact forms, available from this link:
WRITE YOUR SENATORS
Net Neutrality Sites
- Public Knowledge
Net neutrality is the principle that individuals should be free to access all content and applications equally, regardless of the source, without Internet service providers discriminating against specific online services or websites. In other words, it is the principle that the company that connects you to the internet does not get to control what you do on the internet.
- Open Internet — FCC
Adopted on February 26, 2015, the FCC’s Open Internet rules are designed to protect free expression and innovation on the Internet and promote investment in the nation’s broadband networks. The Open Internet rules are grounded in the strongest possible legal foundation by relying on multiple sources of authority, including: Title II of the Communications Act and Section 706 of the Telecommunications Act of 1996.
Bright Line Rules:
- No Blocking: broadband providers may not block access to legal content, applications, services, or non-harmful devices.
- No Throttling: broadband providers may not impair or degrade lawful Internet traffic on the basis of content, applications, services, or non-harmful devices.
- No Paid Prioritization: broadband providers may not favor some lawful Internet traffic over other lawful traffic in exchange for consideration of any kind—in other words, no “fast lanes.” This rule also bans ISPs from prioritizing content and services of their affiliates.
- ¶ Internet Freedom Fight Keeps On
- ¶ Tricky Trump FCC Chair Set to Snuff Internet Freedom
- ¶ GOP Whacking Internet Freedom
¶ Net Neutrality in Pictures
- ¶ It’s Axiomatic — A Free Press Needs Net Neutrality
- ¶ Telecoms Working Congress to Make ‘Information Superhighway’ a Toll Road
- ¶ Comcast Blocks Internet and Public